The RELATE Foundation Day event runs for two days and provides teachers and school leaders with an introduction to ReLATE’s four foundational concepts.
Research shows that experiences of trauma can significantly disrupt a child’s development, and impact on behaviours therefore there must be consideration given to the importance of building the capability of school staff and support services in promoting recovery from trauma and adopting a trauma aware approach to education.
According to Anda & Cole (2009), since the seminal Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) study, it has been understood that trauma affects schooling and educational outcomes.
The MacKillop Institute’s ReLATE model is a trauma-informed approach that supports schools and systems to create real and measurable change in culture and practice, leading to improved teaching, learning and wellbeing. ReLATE combines educational research, social science, behavioural theory and neuroscience to bring practical strategies to schools to embed in their daily practice.
We know that student learning is enhanced by establishing and maintaining authentic relationships with teachers and support staff who are focused on safety, inclusion and co-regulating to achieve learning readiness.
The same can be said for teacher effectiveness and the research that supports the connections between:
- quality and targeted feedback
- authentic relationships with colleagues and students
- collective efficacy and;
- collaborative communities of practice designed to enhance teaching and learning outcomes.
A whole school approach to being trauma-informed means that the school policies, procedures, practices and overall culture are considered and continuously adjusted to support our children and young people from adversity to achievement.
Our Foundation Days provide teachers and school leaders with an introduction to ReLATE’s four foundational concepts;
Who should attend?
Our Foundation Days are beneficial to all school staff whether you are a Principal, classroom teacher or the gardener. If you are in the business of making a difference in the lives of children and young people in your school community, then register for Foundation Day 1 & 2.
These days are also a great way for schools and systems considering our 3-year Implementation Model to nominate key staff to participate and experience the work we do that is making a difference in the lives of our teachers, students, and school communities we partner with.
Participants can expect to learn about:
- the concept of psychological, social, moral safety and how we can use self-regulation to keep ourselves and others safe.
- trauma theory and how neuroscience can inform teacher practice and enhance student learning outcomes.
- strategies to counter stress, de-escalate challenging behaviours and promote wellbeing within the school environment.
- positive and negative influences on school culture and opportunities to drive and embed positive cultural change.
- creating safe, predictable, positive learning environments that nurture curiosity and innovation and support all student’s academic, behavioural, social, and emotional progress and achievement.
- ways to implement key learnings within the context of the participants teaching and learning environment and wider school community.
Both days commence at 9:30am AEST and finish at 3:30pm AEST. We operate these days in two ways:
- Face to face at our South Melbourne office located at 237 Cecil Street, South Melbourne and/or
- Online via Zoom to support learners during COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Note: The agenda for Zoom has been adapted to support online learning environments and enable quality interaction and engagement. We have implemented a number of strategies such as; breakout rooms, regular ‘screen break’ block times and support mechanisms to minimise screen time fatigue.
|Day One||Day Two|
|Monday 15 March||Tuesday 16 March|
|Tuesday 29 April||Wednesday 30 April|
|Monday 17 May||Tuesday 18 May|
|Tuesday 27 July||Wednesday 28 July|
|Monday 2 August||Tuesday 3 August|
|Monday 18 October||Tuesday 19 October|
|Thursday 25 November||Friday 26 November|
Foundation Day 1 & 2: $430 per participant (GST not included).
Register your place
For all enquires or to book your spot to Foundation Days, please register or contact the MacKillop Institute on the details below.
Our Three-Year Implementation
Our implementation approach is agile and can be modified to suit your community and your starting point. In general, ReLATE is implemented across an individual school or a network of schools, over three-years. We can accommodate multiple sites participating in the same professional learning sessions to suit your budget and needs.
Download our ReLATE Guide here to learn more about our whole school and system approach to improving teaching learning and wellbeing.