MacKillop appreciates the invaluable role of foster carers, and we will help you to provide the best care you can for your foster child.
Support for foster carers includes:
- comprehensive and flexible training courses
- ongoing support from a designated case worker
- access to a team of specialists
- an after-hours call service
- helping you plan your foster child’s care
- access to respite care for your foster child when you need a break
- links to other MacKillop foster carers in your area
- MacKillop newsletters with information and resources for foster carers.
MacKillop is an accredited Sanctuary organisation. The Sanctuary model focuses on safety, and understanding how past adversity and trauma can affect people’s behaviour. It recognises that trauma also affects the carers who work with traumatised people. Sanctuary helps carers form communities that are supportive and caring.
Foster care payments
State governments support foster carers financially. Carers receive regular payments to cover some of the costs of caring for a child, such as food, utilities, clothing, school needs, some recreational activities, medical and dental costs.
Foster care payments are tax free. The government determines the rates, which vary depending on the child’s age and needs. Here are links to the rate of payment for the three states in which MacKillop operates:
If you have any questions about support for foster carers, please call us on 1300 791 677.
MacKillop is currently recruiting and training foster carers. Can you help set a child or young person on the path to a brighter future?