MacKillop is committed to supporting student placements, to provide practical experience to equip students with a range of knowledge and skills relevant to social work, community and human services practice.
What MacKillop offers
We can accommodate various disciplines, ranging from Youth Work, Community Services, Disability Support, Social Work and a range of back-of-house support services i.e., Human Resources, Business Services and Community Engagement for students studying courses from Certificate IV through to Masters and PhD students.
Why do a placement at MacKillop
MacKillop will support and document your learning goals/outcomes to support satisfactory completion of your placement in conjunction with your education provider.
You will have the opportunity to participate in MacKillop’s Welcome Day (agency-wide orientation), Sanctuary Training, (which is an evidence-supported, whole-of-organisation framework that is trauma-informed, focused on safety and guides how we respond as an agency), LGBTIQA+ Inclusivity Practices, Disability Awareness and Cultural Awareness.
Depending on course relevance, you may be able to attend further professional development opportunities, this may include:
- Communities of Practice in Foster Care or Residential Services
- Therapeutic Life Story Work - All About Me and More About Me
- Trauma Informed Care
- Power to Kids
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Healing Matters
If your placement dates align with MacKillop’s Training Calendar, MacKillop offers job readiness training workshops, for example:
- career opportunities at MacKillop
- how to present a professional resume
- good interview techniques
- how to write an effective job application letter
MacKillop runs quarterly free webinar where participants can hear first-hand from staff working in the field (subject matter experts) about their experiences, challenges, personal achievements and how they have contributed to the safety, happiness, and wellbeing of the young people in out of home care.
How to apply
We operate a centralised intake process for Student Placements. If you are interested in a student placement with us, please speak with your Education Provider to see if we have an established partnership and can accommodate your placement. Individual placement requests from students will not be considered.
MacKillop has formal partnerships with the following education providers:
- Australian Catholic University
- Australian College of Applied Professions (ACAP)
- Bendigo Tafe / Kangan Tafe, Victoria
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- Charles Sturt University, NSW
- Curtin University, WA
- Deakin, Victoria
- Federation University, Victoria
- Gordon Tafe (Geelong), Victoria
- Holmesglen Tafe, Victoria
- Kirana College, NSW
- La Trobe, Victoria
- NSW Tafe / Tafe Digital, NSW
- Open Colleges
- Relationship Australia Victoria (RAV), Victoria
- Southern Cross University, NSW
- SouthWest Tafe, Victoria
- Swinburne University of Technology, Victoria
- University of Melbourne, Victoria
- University of New South Wales
- University of Sydney
- University of Wollongong, NSW
MacKillop’s service delivery is rapidly expanding across Australia, this includes a wider reach of services across Western Australia, ACT and Northern Territory. If you or your University/TAFE are interested to partner with MacKillop, please arrange your education provider to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working with MacKillop and completing a placement in the same role is not supported. Student placements should sit outside a staff member’s paid role to avoid any conflict of interest. Please consult further with your line manager and MacKillop’s Student Placement Administrator to discuss placement opportunities.
Student suitability and compliance checks
MacKillop is a registered Child Safe Organisation and strictly follows all Government state-based compliance and Child Safe Standards.
All students will need to complete the following:
- MacKillop’s Student Placement Application Form
relevant compliance checks. Mandatory compliance checks include National Police Check conducted by MacKillop post a successful interview, WWCC, NDIS Screening Check, International Police Check (if you have lived overseas for 12 months or more in the last 10 years)
- a current state-based Drivers Licence
- Provide a current resume
- Two professional referee checks (may be requested)
- Undertake a successful interview