The following Homes and Schools in Western Australia were established by the Christian Brothers between 1901 and 1936.
Clontarf Boys’ Home
Clontarf was established in Manning by the Christian Brothers from 1901, with boys from the Subiaco Boys' Orphanage as the first residents. Clontarf later took in boys aged around 12 to 16 years from various backgrounds including Australian-born boys who were wards of the State and those who had been admitted privately, orphans, and (from 1947 to 1966) child migrants from Britain and Malta. Clontarf closed in 1983 and the site later became the Clontarf Aboriginal College.
Castledare Boys’ Home
Castledare was established by the Christian Brothers in Queen's Park (later, Wilson) on the site of the former Castledare Special School. It began as a residential primary school for boys aged from around 6 to 12 years, including boys who were wards of the State and boys who were placed privately (by family or others), in premises previously used for the 'Castledare Special School'. Mostly, boys placed at Castledare were aged 8-10 years. Australian-born boys were sent to Castledare, as were child migrants (1947-1966). Castledare has had many name variations over the years, usually keeping 'Castledare' somewhere in the title. Castledare closed in 1983.
Bindoon Farm School, also known as St Joseph's Farm and Trade School
Bindoon was established by the Christian Brothers in 1936 near Bindoon, north of Perth. It began as a 'farm and trade school' for boys aged 12 to 16 years from various backgrounds, including Australian-born boys who were wards of the State and those who had been admitted privately, and (from 1947 to 1966) child migrants from Britain and Malta. Boys' labour built most of the buildings at Bindoon. Since 1967, Bindoon has been a Catholic agricultural high school.
Tardun Farm School, also known as St Mary’s Agricultural School
Tardun Farm School was established by the Christian Brothers in 1928 as St Mary's Agricultural School as a Home where boys would learn farm skills. After World War II, Tardun housed British and Maltese child migrants aged from about 12 to 16 years as well as boys who were wards of state. Tardun Farm School closed in 1967 but remained open as an agricultural boarding school where some children were placed by the departments responsible for child welfare. Tardun closed at the end of 2008.
Records from the Homes formerly operated by the Christian Brothers in Western Australia were transferred to the Heritage and Information Service of MacKillop in 2019.