Skip to main content

Who Can be a Foster Carer?

Foster carers come from many different backgrounds and family types.

Many different people can become foster carers.

As a foster care you can:

  • be single or have a partner
  • have children of their own or not
  • own or rent their home
  • work, stay at home, study or be retired
  • be from any culture or religion or sexual orientation

However, there are some compulsory requirements to be a foster carer. You must:

  • be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident
  • be at least 21 years old in Victoria and NSW and 25 years old in WA
  • have a spare bedroom in your home for a child
  • have current police and Working With Children Checks (we will help you obtain these)
  • complete a health check, referee checks, and home and environment checks (we will help you with these checks)
  • complete training and be accredited or authorised (we provide training and help you with accreditation and authorisation)

Most importantly, our carers all share the desire to provide a safe and nurturing environment for children and young people in need. They understand that each child or young person has different needs. They are compassionate and resilient. And a good sense of humour helps.

Take the first step to becoming a foster carer today.