The service is responsible for the preservation and safe storage of the historical records for orphanages and children’s homes established in Victoria by the Sisters of Mercy, the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of St Joseph. This collection of records dates from 1857.
The service is also responsible for the preservation and safe storage of client records created from the commencement of MacKillop Family Services in 1997.
What we can offer:
Who is eligible?
- people who spent time in Catholic Homes and Orphanages
- family members of people who spent time in Catholic Homes and Orphanages
- genealogists and family history researchers
- people impacted by past adoption practices.
How to access this service:
If you would like to request a search to be made for information about yourself or a family member, please submit it using our Records Enquiry Form.
Please include as much information as possible to help us confirm whether we have to records you are looking for. Helpful information includes:
- name of person
- their date of birth or year of birth
- name of the Home or Orphanage they lived at
- name of their foster or adoptive parents.